Police send reinforcement troops to Papua after fatal attack

Police send reinforcement troops to Papua after fatal attack
, 15 June 2010

The National Police has sent a company of Mobile Brigade (Brimob) strike force troops to the restive Papua regency of Puncak Jaya following an attack that killed a member of the elite unit on Monday.

National Police chief Gen, Bambang Hendarso Danuri said Tuesday the reinforcement troops would help the police in Puncak Jaya hunt down the gunmen who shot and killed Brig. Agus during an ambush in Yambi district.

“The perpetrators [of the attack] were a group of armed people. We are still giving chase,” Bambang said as quoted by kompas.com.

He added that he had ordered Papua Police to step up security measures due to the rampant attacks on police and military personnel in the Papua highlands of Puncak Jaya. “We hope the armed group commits no more hit-and-run attacks,” he said.

Agus, a Brimob officer from Bogor who was on loan to the Papua Police, was shot during a routine patrol at 3:20 p.m. local time Monday. A bullet pierced his jaw. He died en route to hospital in the regency capital of Mulia.

On May 22, gunmen ambushed a group of patrolling police and military personnel in Yambi district, injuring three of them.



Police send one Brimob company to Papua
, 15 June 2010

National Police chief General Bambang Hendarso Danuri said he would send a company of Mobile Brigade personnel (around 100) to reinforce security in the Mulia District, Papua, following a recent attack on the police.

"As attacks on police and military stations are still continuing in Puncak Jaya we will send a company of Brimob there," he said here on Tuesday.

He hoped with the reinforcement no attacks would occur again. He admitted that a Brimob member from Kedunghalang, Bogor, West Java, was killed by an armed group while being assigned in Mulia.

Papua police command chief, Adjunct Senior Commissioner Wachyono said first brigade Agus Suhendra was shot while on a routine patrol in Mulia from a distance of less than 3.5 meters by an armed group.

He was wounded in the head but died while being rushed to a local hospital.
Agus Suhendra`s body was sent to Jayapura on Tuesday and later to Jakarta for burial.

Police and military stations have often become the target of attacks by armed group in the past few years.(*)