TNI waiting for ballistic test results over Papua shootings

TNI waiting for ballistic test results over Papua shootings

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The National Defense Forces (TNI) Headquarters is currently waiting for the results of police ballistic tests on projectiles from the recent shooting incidents in PT Freeport`s concession area in Papua, a spokesman said.

"We are still waiting for the results of the ballistic tests being conducted by the National Police (Polri)," TNI spokesman Rear Air Marshal Sagom Tamboen said here on Wednesday.

Tamboen made the statement after he was asked about alleged involvement of military personnel in last Saturday`s and Sunday`s shootings in the PT Freeport area that claimed the lives of two civilians and a policeman.

The allegation of military involvement in the shooting incidents came up following the discovery of evidence the gunmen had used standard TNI/Polri weapons.
But Tamboen said so far there was no report from any TNI unit in Papua about the loss of weapon or ammunitions.

"Every weapon and ammunition used by TNI soldiers is always reported every day, but so far there has been no report of weapon and ammunition loss," Tamboen said.

Meanwhile, Polri said earlier that the perpetrators in the shooting incidents in PT Freeport mining areas in Papua were well-trained gunmen. But the Papua police had so far yet identify and catch the culprits.
Papua Police chief Inspector General FX Bagus Ekodanto had said that based the projectiles found at the scene of the shootings, the perpetrators were of the same group.

"The bullets used by the perpetrators in the shootings indicate they used fire arms of the type also used by TNI and Police personnel," Ekodanto said.

Since Saturday (July 11), three persons, including one worker of US gold and copper mining company PT Freeport, had been killed in Papua.
Drew Nicholas Grant, an Australian national who worked for PT Freeport, was shot dead by unknown people at Mile-53 on Saturday (July 11). Drew Grant was shot in the chest and neck.

On Sunday (July 12), there were two armed attacks respectively at Mile 51 and Mile 2, which killed Markus Rante Allo, a security guard of PT Freeport.
On Monday (July 13), Brigadier I Marson, a Papua police officer, was found dead at mile 52 road connecting Timika and Tembagapura, Mimika District, Papua Province, after reportedly gone missing earlier.